ASL University ►

American Sign Language: "distance"

The right sign for "distance" depends on your situation.

Probably the closest ASL equivalent to the English concept of "distance" is the sign FAR.

FAR (general version)


FAR (version)


THERE-(very close by) "right there"



THERE-(fairly close by)

THERE-(moderately close by) "over there a short ways"


THERE-(very far away)


If you mean "distance" as in "size or measurement" then you should use the "SIZE" sign.

Note: Those are "Y" handshapes not "i" handshapes. (Make sure to stick out your pinkies.)


If you mean distance as in the width between two items you might want to use a version of the sign "BIG" (the version that uses "flat hands"). Perhaps a better description of that version would be to call it the sign for WIDTH. I'd change the facial expression into furrowed brows if I wanted to ask "How wide?"


Also see: FAR
Also see: MEASURE
Also see: BIG

You can learn American Sign Language (ASL) online at American Sign Language University
ASL resources by    Dr. William Vicars

Dr. Bill's new iPhone "Fingerspelling Practice" app is now available!   GET IT HERE!  

NEW!  Online "ASL Training Center!"  (Premium Subscription Version of ASLU)  ** CHECK IT OUT **

Also available: "" (a mirror of less traffic, fast access)  ** VISIT NOW **

Want to help support Lifeprint / ASLU?  It's easy!     

back.gif (1674 bytes)