ASL Lessons | Bookstore | Library | ASL University Main ►
"Holiday" is one of those concepts that have more than one signed version.
The two main approaches to "holiday" are:
1. Use the "vacation sign." See: https://youtu.be/V81liG2gQbo
2. Use the "Hollywood sign." See: https://youtu.be/fWszfb42MX8
Since you may see either version used in the Deaf Community you need to consider:
1. The context (the overall concept of what is being discussed)
2. The mouth movement (if used). Some Deaf mouth certain words / others don't. If you are signing with someone who does then make sure to pick up on any mouth morphemes or clues from the shape of the mouth -- if available.
I've noticed though that I tend to do vacation using a single movement when I'm talking about "time off" or SPRING "break."
For the sign "holiday" I use a double movement.
Poke your upper chest area twice with the thumb tips of your relaxed 5-hands.
HOLIDAY [vacation / time off / not working / break]
See: Animation: "HOLIDAY"
The sign “VACATION” can be used to mean:
* “OFF” (work)
* Break (time off).
If you initialize the sign VACATION with an “R” or do it with just the index and thumb, it can mean “retired”
Also see: HOLLYWOOD
* Want to help support ASL University? It's easy: DONATE (Thanks!)
* Another way to help is to buy something from Dr. Bill's "Bookstore."
* Want even more ASL resources? Visit the "ASL Training Center!" (Subscription Extension of ASLU)
* Also check out Dr. Bill's channel: www.youtube.com/billvicars
You can learn American Sign Language (ASL) online at American Sign Language University ™
ASL resources by Lifeprint.com © Dr. William Vicars