ASL Lessons | Bookstore | Library | ASL University Main ►
American Sign Language: "lady"
The right sign for "lady" depends on whether you are using it to indicate a "woman" or if you are trying to indicate a "socially proper woman."
The general sign for "woman" combines the sign "GIRL" and "FINE."
GIRL + FINE = "woman"
Note: The sign "WOMAN" also has a more abbreviated form, for more information see: WOMAN and scroll down.
If you want to use the sign "LADY" to indicate a "socially proper female" then you will combine the signs GIRL and POLITE.
GIRL/female + POLITE = "lady"
To sign polite you brush the tip of the thumb of your right five-hand twice on your chest using an upward motion. The hand moves in a very small circle, up, out, down, back. It is on the upward stroke that the thumb-tip touches the chest. You might see other versions of this sign, but this is how I do it.
Also see: WOMAN
Also see: GIRL
* Want to help support ASL University? It's easy: DONATE (Thanks!)
* Another way to help is to buy something from Dr. Bill's "Bookstore."
* Dr. Bill's new iPhone "Fingerspelling Practice" app is now available! CHECK IT OUT >
* Want even more ASL resources? Visit the "ASL Training Center!" (Subscription Extension of ASLU)
* Also check out Dr. Bill's channel: www.youtube.com/billvicars
You can learn American Sign Language (ASL) online at American Sign Language University ™
ASL resources by Lifeprint.com © Dr. William Vicars