Lessons | ASLU Main ►
To order a hard copy, visit: http://www.amazon.com/How-be-Deaf-Rosie-Malezer/dp/1530118115
From the author:
"After more than 40 years, living as a hearing woman in a hearing world, I woke up one day without sound. Being diagnosed as profoundly Deaf, I realized that I now lived in a world which I never knew existed. Suddenly, I was bullied, laughed at, put in the “too hard” file and abandoned by those I once proudly called “my friends.”
With my rights having been taken away by the government, being told that I was unteachable, unemployable, and then threatened with arrest for talking too loudly in public, I learned the meaning of Audism and Surdophobia. I also learned to stand up and be proactive.
This is the book I wish had been available to me when I first woke up to a world of silence. In a way, I’ve written it for my younger self as well as others who have lost or are losing their hearing. I share it in the hopes of softening the impact of such a hard transition. Going from hearing to Deaf really knocks the wind out of you, but not for the reasons you would expect."
- Rosie Malezer
* Dr. Bill's new iPhone "Fingerspelling Practice" app is now available! CHECK IT OUT >
* Want even more ASL resources? Visit the "ASL Training Center!" (Subscription Extension of ASLU)
* Also check out Dr. Bill's channel: www.youtube.com/billvicars
* Want to help support ASL University? It's easy: DONATE (Thanks!)
* Another way to help is to buy something from Dr. Bill's "Bookstore."
You can learn American Sign Language (ASL) online at American Sign Language University ™
ASL resources by Lifeprint.com © Dr. William Vicars