ASL Lessons | Bookstore | Library | ASL University Main ►

Concepts back.gif (1674 bytes) marriage

SCHOOL: The American Sign Language (ASL) sign for "school"

This sign can also mean things such as academic or academy -- however there is a different sign that specifically means "college" or university.


The sign for "school" uses flat hands.  Quickly bring your your dominant hand down onto your base hand twice as if clapping.

It is okay if the fingers are a bit loose and/or the thumb sticks out loosely.  It is okay if the non-dominant hand moves somewhat but most of the motion should be in the dominant hand.


Memory Aid:
Think of a teacher clapping her hands to get the student's attention.
Other meanings:  "Academic" 
Handshape:  loose "flat" hands. (Or even "5" hands, but the fingers are not widely splayed.)
Location: In the neutral signing space in front of the body
Orientation: Dominant hand faces down.  Non-dominant hand faces up.
Movement:  "Clap" the hands together twice.  (Do it quietly. No need to make noise. Duh.)

Many people just combine the sign DEAF and the sign SCHOOL to create the meaning of "a school for the Deaf."
That approach isn't "wrong" but advanced signers know there is a separate and specific sign that means "Deaf School" that initializes the sign "SCHOOL" with "i" handshapes.
This sign is not signed English but rather it is a long-used sign in the Deaf Community to refer to a residential state-run school for the Deaf.



While all academic colleges are schools -- not all schools are colleges. The sign SCHOOL and the sign COLLEGE are not the same.




*  Want to help support ASL University?  It's easy
DONATE  (Thanks!)

Another way to help is to buy something from Dr. Bill's "Bookstore."

Want even more ASL resources?  Visit the "ASL Training Center!"  (Subscription Extension of ASLU)  

*  Also check out Dr. Bill's channel:

You can learn American Sign Language (ASL) online at American Sign Language University  
ASL resources by    Dr. William Vicars