ASL University | Bookstore | Catalog | Dictionary | Lessons | Resources | Syllabi | Library

Deaf Education:  How to become a teacher of the deaf

Sent: Monday, April 25, 2005 6:12 PM
Subject: education credential question

Question: <<What education credential is necessary in California to teach in a deaf/hard of hearing classroom in grades K-12? Where in California would a person get that credential? (Which college or program.)>>

I asked an "in the know" person who gave me the following information and I figured I'd pass it along for those of you who are interested in this topic. Note: While I believe this information to be accurate, you should always verify details before making life-changing decisions:

<<To teach in D/HH programs [in Califorina], a student must earn a Master's degree (it can be in Deaf Education, but doesn't have to be, although if one does not hold a Master's in Deaf Ed, you would likely be required to take extra coursework in order to receive the credential) and complete additional coursework towards earning the credential (which would be included in the Master's coursework). There are several programs in Calif. that I know of -- SFSU, SJSU, CSU-Fresno, CSUN, and one or both of the San Diego colleges. Specific info on contacting the programs is in the American Annals of the Deaf April reference issue every year, along with a listing of all the colleges in California (and the country/Canada) that offer teacher training (and other types) programs. Once they have completed the coursework, they may apply for a DHH credential, which is split into two levels, the second of which is contingent on work experience and (I think) a little more coursework.
I have heard good things about CSUN and at least one of the San Diego programs, and I think Fresno is all right.
________ (name on file)>>

Note:  A teacher for the Deaf generally needs a masters (or 3 courses short of a masters in the state of CA) to get a teaching certificate for the Deaf.  As of 2008 I was told by a former student that the CSUN Deaf Studies program does not directly lead into Deaf Ed.  Many who went through that program got a BA in Liberal Studies that way they were leveled with Deaf Ed.

Note:  According to at least one expert, one of the best programs in California is at UCSD.  The MA degree in the teacher education program at San Diego with Tom Humphries. Students must submit ASL proficiency etc. as part of their application to this bilingual centered program.
See this link for degree description:

2008 Oct:
Note: I received an email stating to the effect of:
<<"SFSU's program is closed. SJSU sucks and is pretty iffy anyway. Fresno is allright, but I agree that UCSD is good -- I think SDSU is supposed to have a fairly good program as well? I also know that National university offers an online program and is Bi-Bi oriented, but I don't know about the quality of it yet.">>

Colleen Smith is teaching with the National University Deaf Ed Credential program.

Want to help support ASL University?  It's easy DONATE (Thanks!)
(You don't need a PayPal account. Just look for the credit card logos and click continue.)

Another way to help is to buy something from the ASLU "Bookstore."

Want even more ASL resources?  Visit the "ASL Training Center!"  (Subscription Extension of ASLU)   CHECK IT OUT >

Bandwidth slow?  Check out "" (a free mirror of less traffic, fast access)   VISIT >